Seminar Leaders: Drs J. Kohl and R. Ruskin
This 3-hour seminar will provide an overview and familiarize trainees with the CRPO Professional Practice Standards and Jurisprudence for Registered Psychotherapists. Trainees will be introduced to the role of the college and will review the CRPO code of Ethics and professional standards, including professional misconduct, incompetence and incapacity. Students will also be required to review client-therapist relationships and gain an understanding of informed consent, confidentiality, professional boundaries and examples of sexual misconduct and abuse. Record keeping and billing procedures will be outlined and reviewed as well as CRPO Regulations and Laws such as adherence to the Regulated Health Protection Act (RHPA), mandatory reporting, complaints and discipline process, quality assurance program, and review of other laws in section “E” of the professional practice and Jurisprudence manual. Case examples will be used to help students integrate understanding of CRPO professional practice standards and jurisprudence. This seminar, along with four Ethics courses taught sequentially over the four years of teaching (Ethics 113, 209, 306, 410) which explore these topics in greater depth, will prepare students to complete the Professional Practice & Jurisprudence e-learning module required for entry into practice.
- (1.4, 2.1, 2.2, 3.1, 3.5, 3.10, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.6) To review, discuss, and integrate the CRPO Professional Practice Standards and Jurisprudence.
- (4.1, 4.2) To read definitions of regulations essential for CRPO entry-into-practice including: informed consent, boundaries, confidentiality, professional and sexual misconduct, all-important in establishing a client-therapist relationship (1.2), and establishing its safety (4.2).
- (2.1, 3.5) To review and understand record keeping and billing regulations.
- (2.2, 3.10) To read and review CRPO laws and regulations on scope of practice, use of titles, and mandatory reports, complaints and discipline process, registration process and quality assurance and discuss examples.
- (2.2, 3.1, 4.6) To read and become familiar with other provincial and Canadian health care laws and acts and referral procedures.
Professional Practice & Jurisprudence for Registered Psychotherapists e-module, May 2015, CRPO website.